Monday 26 September 2022

AN INDULGENCE

 Not one of these silly things that nearly scuppered the Catholic Church back in the sixteenth century.


The Old Girl cooked duck risotto last night.

She makes this by slow cooking duck pieces (breast, legs) in a slow-cooker. She then drains off the juices and fat and shreds the meat to mix in with risotto she makes from arborio rice. Yummy.

She uses the juices to make duck stock which we freeze and use later in soups, stews and casseroles.

We used to pour off the fat but recently she's taken to separating this and using for duck-fat chips. Duck-fat chips, if you are unfamiliar with them are a must-have delicacy in restaurants and well worth trying. Today for lunch I used some left-over cooked potatoes which I cut into small chunks and sautéed in the duck fat. I also fried an egg in the fat and had this on a thick slice of toast from the home-made wholemeal bread  that I had baked yesterday. Wowee!

I don't recommend eating like this too often as the calorie intake is whopping but as a treat, as an indulgence if you will, it's a wonder that Martin Luther doesn't come knocking at the door.


"I smell duck fat. Let me in."


5 comments:

CHILLI

 I decided to make chilli today - for dinner tonight and with several portions to freeze for later. The red chillies fresh off the vine are ...