Tuesday 21 June 2022

A GUT REACTION

 Years ago, in Wellington I lived for a year in a household of vegetarians which, at the time, was a novel concept having been used to 'meat and two veg' eating for years. I leant to cook without meat which serves me well today. See: HERE

I'm not a vegan or a vegetarian and don't preach to others about the benefits of healthy eating ... but ..... a good friend of ours died a few years ago, at a young age, from bowel cancer. 
Bowel cancer is the second highest cause of cancer death in New Zealand but it is treatable and beatable if detected early enough. A diet that is low in fats and animal product is advised.

So where is this going?

On Robert's blog he finishes each post with a note of what he has cooked or is about to cook for dinner. 
There is a disturbing amount of meat, including fatty meat like lamb and pork mentioned



I looked back on a month's worth of posts (most recent back to a calendar month ago) and can report here his evening meal choices.

"Lamb roast."

"As I put my hand out to receive this very special Sacrament the lady gave me two hosts! I've never received two Jesus' before. My first thought was maybe I could spit one out and take it home to Sue. Then I remembered back to when I had the job of handing out the Eucharist, I recalled the priest eating any left over hosts. I swallowed both and sat back at my pew."

"Chicken, brussel (sic) sprouts and those mushroom things."

"Fish burgers with extra fish! (Sue had oysters and didn't want all of hers)."

"Rissoles, spuds and peas."

"Lamb roast for dinner."

"Hot dogs for dinner."

Roast dinner.

"Lamb roast dinner."

"Scotch eggs and veges."

"Fish and chips."

"Chicken and veges."

"Chicken and mushroom pasta"

"Chicken and veges." Bizarrely in a pst titled 'Animals Matter'

"Lamb chop and veges."

"Sushi and flied rice."

"Chicken rissoles and indian (sic) peas and cauliflower and spuds with gravy."


I did think that he consumed more pork (not a deliberate pun although the little critters might be tasty) but that must have been in previous month's posts.

The more observant reader will note that Robert includes 'veges' in most of the meals mentioned. It's worrying though that he doesn't define which vegetables he cooks and he might be like my sister who thinks adequate vegetables intake is chips and frozen peas.

I do take my hat off to him though in his choice of sushi which he made himself I believe. I don't know what 'flied' rice is though unless it suggests that he dropped the pan when cooking it.

Balance in our eating habits is the thing. For every meat based dish we consume we should give our guts a break and eat vegetable based or vegetarian dishes for at least the next two meals.




2 comments:

  1. "I leant to cook..." so, what did you learn on?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Do you mean "what did you lean on?" or have you been learning how to drink those unlabelled Chardonnays?

      Delete

CHILLI

 I decided to make chilli today - for dinner tonight and with several portions to freeze for later. The red chillies fresh off the vine are ...