This weekend friends from Auckland came up in Thursday and left today (to beat the traffic which they rightly assumed will be horrendous tomorrow). The Old Girl is staying through to Tuesday.
We've enjoyed a leisurely weekend which has involved lots of reading, chatting, swimming, eating and of course wine drinking. Interspersed has been games of snooker and pool which is always fun.
This post is naturally about food though.
I made wholemeal and wholegrain bread each day (in my trusty breadmaker), see: HERE
and we had cheap and nutritious meals.
- Chicken and vegetable pie with roast potatoes and spinach
- Roast lamb with fresh salad and roasted vegetables
- Sauteed prawns and salad
- Fettuccine pinenuts and basil pesto
- Corn fritters, bacon and poached eggs on wholemeal toast
- Pizzas with individual toppings. etc.
* I understand that this might sound arrogant but believe me I've researched this, Buying at takeaway shops and dairies (bacon, processed meats, snack foods and other crap) is way more more expensive than buying fresh, wholesome (and cheap) produce to cook.